Updated: We’ve updated our analysis with the latest information for February 2016.
Don’t use your phone too often? Pay As You Go plans might be the best way for you to minimise your mobile phone bill. In this post, we’ve looked at Australia’s best value PAYG plans across all mobile networks – see which plan is the best option for you.
|Type||Network||National Call rate (per minute)||Call connection fee||Standard National Text||International Text||Data (per megabyte)||Data charging increments||Recharge options|
|Yomojo PAYG||Prepaid or Postpaid||Optus 3G/4G||$0.11||None||$0.09||$0.35||$0.05||per KB||Minimum $10 (90 day expiry)|
|Dodo PAYG||Prepaid||Optus 3G/4G||$0.11||None||$0.11||$0.35||$0.05||per MB||$10/60 days
|Telstra Prepaid Simplicity||Prepaid||Telstra 3G/4G||$0.15||None||$0.12||$0.20||$0.10||per KB - however officially MB||$20/30 days
|Amaysim PAYG||Prepaid or Postpaid||Optus 3G/4G||$0.12||None||$0.12||$0.25||$0.072||per KB||Minimum $15 recharge (90 days expiry)|
|Aldi Mobile PAYG||Prepaid||Telstra 3G||$0.12||None||$0.12||$0.25||$0.05||per 25KB||Minimum $15 recharge (365 day expiry)|
|Vodafone PAYG||Prepaid||Vodafone 3G/4G||$0.10||$0.10||$0.15||$0.15||$0.02||per 512KB (first 512KB in each session free)||Minimum $10 (30 day expiry)|
|Virgin Simple||Prepaid||Optus 3G/4G||$0.15||None||$0.15||$0.15||$2.00 (100MB included)||per KB||Minimum $19 (90 days expiry)|
|Optus Long Life||Prepaid||Optus 3G/4G||$0.20||None||$0.20||$0.20||$0.05||per KB||Minimum $30 (186 days expiry)|
Analysis: The Option
The best option for you depends on how you use your phone:
- Need the best network coverage? Telstra Simplicity – for full access to Telstra’s 3G and 4G Network
- Usually make calls within Australia? Yomojo or Dodo both charge $0.11 per minute with no connection fee.
- Text within Australia? Yomojo charge just $0.09 per national SMS
- Text internationally? Vodafone or Virgin both charge $0.15 per international SMS
- Need Data? Vodafone charges the lowest rate at $0.02 per MB (charged in 512KB increments, with the first 512KB in each session free), while Virgin Simple offers 100MB per recharge, although excess data is charged at the obscene rate of $2/MB
- Need long expiry? Aldi offers 365 day expiry with just a $15 recharge.
Overall, Yomojo appears to be the best value option if you use your phone to call or text within Australia – charging the lowest rates for both national calls and SMS. However, Yomojo recently went under administration and rebranded – it was previously known as Yatango – so may not be a safe option for new customers.
Apart form this, Aldi, Amaysim and Dodo both have extremely low rates and are well known in the industry. Further, Aldi has the longest expiry by far out of all the options.
We can highly recommend Telstra for their relatively low rates, and their excellent network coverage.
Who offers the best value PAYG Mobile in Australia? We’d love to hear your thoughts, as well as any feedback or discussion related to the article – comment using the text box below.